A little while ago, I didn’t know much about Tallinn. Tallinn is the capital of Estonia and just a short 2 hour flight from my hometown Amsterdam. A great destination for a city trip! Tallinn is full of surprises. What a discovery! I loved strolling around in the old town and was amazed by the great restaurants. These are my Tallinn tips including the best sights, restaurants, hotels and museums!
This blogpost contains affiliate links, so I earn a small commission when you book through my website, at no extra cost to you! So thank you if you book your accommodation through my website!
The beautiful old town of Tallinn, Vanalinn, is a Unesco World Heritage Site. The city has a turbulent history because of the Soviet era, when the Russians took over the country. Nowadays the city is bustling with creative concepts, good restaurants and a lot of festivals. In the summer months the climate is pleasant, with temperatures very similar to the Netherlands. In winter time you need your thickest coat, because it can freeze -30 degrees! For more information: the weather & climate in Talinn.
The old town Vanalinn | Tallinn tips
1. Telliskivi! A lively, creative area located in a formal industrial complex. This is the place to be for cocktail bars, restaurants and concept stores. You can have dinner in a camper van! I loved it here.
2. Fotografiska Tallinn (Telliskivi). Creative photography museum that hosts DJs and organises concerts. It is all about sustainability here. We visited the impressive exhibitions by Jimmy Nelson and Anja Niemi.
3. Lunch at F-Hoone (Telliskivi).
4. Visit the stunning Alexander Nevski Cathedral. This Russian orthodox cathedral is hard to miss on top of Toompea Hill.
Shopping in Tallinn | Sights & Things to do
5. Stroll around the old town Vanalinn. So beautiful!
6. Have dinner at restaurant Farm in the heart of the old town and try some typical Estonian dishes.
7. Have a coffee or hot chocolate with cake at Kehrwieder Chocolaterie. It feels like you’re in a little Hobbit house!
8. Shop at Mia & Leela. The store is located in a pretty gallery with other unqiue shops. (Telliskivi)
Restaurant Juur | Tallinn tips
9. Have a cocktail at Sveta Baar (Telliskivi). During the day they sell furniture and vintage clothing, but at night this is one of the best spots for drinks.
10. Dinner at wine restaurant Veinirestoran Dominic.
11. Enjoy haute cuisine at famous restaurant Ribe.
12. Visit Stroomi Rand. A beautiful beach close to Tallinn.
13. Try the delicious Estonian herbal tea!
The Alexander Nevski Cathedral and F-Hoone | Tallinn tips
14. Try the cocktails at Latin American restaurant La Tabla (Telliskivi)
15. Dine at Kivi Paber Käärid (Telliskivi)
16. Enjoy Indian food at Lendav Taldrik (Telliskivi)
17. Visit Lennusadam. Seaplane Harbour is a super-modern maritime and military museum, complete with historic ships to tour. A lot of fun for kids!
Restaurant NOA | Restaurants
18. Have lunch or dinner at Restaurant Juur. This restaurant is located a little outside of Tallinn, but is worth the detour! We enjoyed a special and creative Scandinavian lunch here. All the dishes are presented on raw materials and sustainability is very important.
19. Restaurant NOA. Definitely worth the taxi or car ride! What a cosy and beautiful restaurant by the water. The dangerously good cocktails were the best I had during my trip to Estonia!
These are some other restaurants that I discovered: Restaurant Vintage 17 and Restaurant Controvento (one of the best Italian restaurants in the city).
F-Hoone, Telliskivi | Highlight
We stayed at the perfectly located Hotel L’Ermitage! My room was comfortable and well equipped and breakfast was great. The check-in was a little slow, but other than that, I loved the hotel.
Let me know if you have more Tallinn tips and leave a comment below!