I recently visited Luxembourg City for the first time and I was so surprised by this green, historic city that is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Only a five and a half hour train ride from Amsterdam and public transport is free everywhere in Luxembourg! The city is bursting with excellent wine bars and fresh delicacy & concept stores. You can go on beautiful walks in and around the city. These are the best things to do in Luxembourg City and all my tips and highlights!
If you are Dutch and you are reading this blog post in English, just tap the menu button to change the language to Dutch!
This blogpost contains affiliate links, so I earn a small commission when you book through my website, at no extra cost to you! So thank you if you book your accommodation through my website!
The Wenzel route is a beautiful city walk | best things to do in Luxembourg City
1. Walk the extraordinary Wenzel route. During this city walk you will see many highlights, such as the beautiful Le Chemine de la Corniche. From here you have a beautiful view over the city and this place is also known as “the most beautiful balcony in Europe”. During this walk of about 3 hours, you walk from the picturesque upper town to the charming district of Grund and will see vineyards, fortifications and the river Alzette. The bridge Pont du Stierchen is also particularly beautiful. You feel like you have landed in a scene from Disney’s Belle and the Beast, because of the beautiful houses, butterflies and wonderful nature. Luxembourg City has many differences in height and for this walk it is important that you have good mobility, because of the many stairs.
Grund and the higher part of the city | best things to do in Luxembourg City
The lower part of the city is called Grund. Grund is impressive to look at from above, from there you can clearly see how beautiful Neumünster Abbey is. You will find photogenic, winding streets and fun hangouts in Grund, such as Café des Artistes, where you can sing along with a pianist in the evening. If you dare…
Café des Artistes | restaurants & bars
2. Visit the Casemates du Bock: a mile-long, underground system of corridors built in the 17th century to defend the city. This is Luxembourg’s biggest tourist attraction. A visit will take about an hour or so. From the underground corridos, you have beautiful views over the city.
3. After boosting your daily steps considerably, give your leg muscles some well-deserved rest at one of the city’s wine bars. Recommendations are Vins Fins, Pas Sage and Flûte Alors! Do yourself a favor and order a delicious cheese board to accompany your wine….
Restaurant El Barrio and the view during the Wenzel route | best things to do in Luxembourg City
4. Great spots for lunch are Cocottes Chimay, Konrad Cafe & Bar, Kaale Kaffi, Beim Renert and La Mezzanine du Boulevard. Konrad Cafe and Kaale Kaffi (pictured below) both have unique, colorful, vintage interiors your grandmother would be in love with.
Tip: Luxembourg City has a lot of height differences. To minimize the climbing up and down, you can take a free elevator to the higher part of the city at several places. Try the glass Pfaffenthal elevator and the centrally located Ascenseur Elevator Plateau St. Esprit Grund. Ideal!
The local market | tips and highlights Luxembourgh
5. Stock up at fantastic delicatessens, such as L’Epicerie Sàrl and LADUREE. When traveling by train, luckily you don’t have to worry about the weight of your suitcase….
6. Grab a coffee to go at “Do for love” and check out Skatepark Péitruss under the stately, high arches of the Passerelle Bridge. The skate park is currently undergoing a major expansion that includes an outdoor fitness area. I was quite impressed by all the testosterone eye candy that raced by on skates and skateboards. Bonjour!
Skatepark Péitruss and the terrace of De Gudde Wëllen | Luxembourg City tips and highlights
7. The terrace of de Gudde Wëllen is not to be missed! From here you have the best view over the city. Order a G&T, or 2, and you’re guaranteed to linger here for a loooong time… A hidden, beautiful courtyard garden can be found at Bosso restaurant!
8. Dine at the fabulous, high end, Um Plateau. Here you will enjoy creative dishes and dangerously good cocktails. Try the ceviche with pineapple and melon! They also have a particularly good selection of mocktails. The restaurants El Barrio (Spanish), Les Copains d’Abord and Piri Piri (Portuguese) are also highly recommended.
On the first photo restaurant Piri Piri and on the second photo the ceviche at Um Plateau | the best restaurants
Tip: with the Luxembourg Card, which you can buy for 1, 2 or 3 days, you get free admission to many museums in the city, such as the beautiful MUDAM museum and the Casemates du Bock. Using this card will always give you a better deal than when you pay separate entrance fees everywhere.
9. My favorite shops are La Manufacture Bohème, Muse by…, Butlers and Shop Esoteric Scarabaeus. Enter at your own risk…
10. Stay at the colorful hotel Mama Shelter. What an awesome place! Upon entering you’ll find a warm welcome on the mirror in the bathroom, at breakfast you can make fresh juice with a slow juicer and pick your favorite delicious bread. There’s even freshly baked brioche waiting for you. In addition, the hotel has a cinema, a boulangerie and a beautiful rooftop bar!
Hotel Mama Shelter and cocktails at Bazaar | Luxembourg City tips and highlights
11. For the most delicious cocktails you have to try cozy Bazaar Bar et Restaurant and Tube!
Two full days in Luxembourg City are enough to see all the highlights. Be sure to add a trip to the nearby Mullerthal Trail. Here you can go on beautiful hikes and this is an ideal day trip from Luxembourg City. It is just a 30 minute drive!
- Find the best rental car at Sunny Cars.
- Check out Booking.com for the best hotels.
- The best tours and experiences you will find at Getyourguide.